Sunday, March 23, 2008

INSURANCE for LONG-TERM CARE

Writing a whole blog on long term care insurance is too much, sorry Dave.
If you are considering this insurance it can be a snake pit, so I recommend that you go to the library and read up such books as J.K. Lasser’s Choosing the Right Long-Term Care Insurance, and Phyllis Shelton’s Long-Term Care, Your Financial Planning Guide.
Do not think the people who come to pitch their product will be well informed. My salespeople were uninformed, untrained in the product, young, and aggressive.
The letter that I wrote to extricate myself from the clutches of an insurance Co. follows as the next comment. Most disturbing was that they “could not give me any numbers, prices, and details until I signed up and gave them a check”.

1 comment:

elaineb said...

(dates and names omitted)
Dear Sirs. I hereby cancel the long term insurance policy and all associated authorizations begun with your agents.
I phoned the day after their visit and they said I would need to sign a letter of cancellation in the presence of one of their salespeople who would visit me shortly. “Its easy just a phone call, I will set it up and call you right back” I have phoned every other day since then occasionally reaching someone who repeated the same “right back” and “how early may we call you?” but they never call back or set up a meeting. I have emphasized I want to get the letter signing done, and they can return my check later..etc.
The glib promises/lies and no follow-up are clearly disrespectful of customers. Perhaps they think they can drag this out and then tell me I have to accept the policy. Their attitude that I’m only an old lady comes across loud and clear.
The initial presentation had huge omissions, disregard for my requests, but mostly lack of information for me, also that they “could not give me numbers, prices, and details until I signed up and gave them a check”
My irritation and time wasted are only exceeded by my disgust for your organization.
Sincerely…
Cc: FL Dept of Financial Svcs, 200E. Gaines, Tallahassee, FL 32399