Saturday, March 15, 2008

Warning - Do not click on the first comment on Marilyn's post

Hi everybody, I was about to reply to Marilyn's post about not being able to vote for the Parrot name. I found another comment on her post. I opened it to read it. It said, "Warning please click on here". Well stupid me, I clicked on it and I think it was installing spyware or something in my computer. I couldn't close it. Finally I was able to turn my computer off.

I sure hope it wasn't able to put some kind of spy equipment on my computer. I can't tell you exactly what it said because I was in a panic trying to close it. But it looked like it was installing something.

Any suggestions or comments?
Thanks, Chris

7 comments:

UCO President said...

Hi Chris,
Have no fear.
FENRISAR is a Deviant Art / BLOG site;

SEE

:http://bladesofshadow.deviantart.com/art/Fenrisar-67821376

No harm was done to your Computer. FENRISAR will attempt to advertise on other BLOGS.

For further information on FENRISAR, GOOGLE it, they are somewhat different.

Dave

UCO President said...

Hi Chris,
Small error in that URL,
Drop the : at the beginning.


http://bladesofshadow.deviantart.com/art/Fenrisar-67821376

Dave

UCO President said...

Hi Chrisj,

I have deleted the problem comment so as to avoid any more confusion.

Dave

Topper said...

Thanks Dave. I went into that site. Very weird.
I have just recently updated my Norton so once I calmed down, I realized that should protect me from any intruders.
So glad you are doing better.
Chris

elaineb said...

There was another invader last week. When I first posted CV Critters there was a comment that said ‘Click here and here’. Yeah I did, and it launched a scan on my computer while advertising ‘XP virus something’. I was also in a big hurry to get off it so did not write down details.
If you are suspicious of something attached to your post you can delete the whole thing - as I did (and reposted later) or if it’s a comment call Dave, he’s in the book. Or does Dave have other suggestion --?

Topper said...

Thanks Elaine. I will be very watchful when I post. It sounds like it might have been the same thing.

UCO President said...

Hi Elaine,

The "Click Here" link is somewhat problematic.

There is on version that aggresively attempts to install a so called Virus scan program; it does a "Free Scan" on the spot and informs you that your machine Is or may be infected and then asks you to download the program, which will bring down Spyware.

DO NOT do so!
Keep clicking Cancel or shut down your machine.

If you see this critter again, please RIGHT click on the word "HERE". This will drop down a menu; Left click on "Properties" and record the URL.

DO NOT go to the URL.

Dave