Thursday, April 10, 2008

PILES OF SAND AT THE NEW UCO BUILDING SITE

On the CV Q & A Larry Kall Posts the following question;
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author:
Larry Kall (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)Date: 04-10-08 21:15

While putting on transponders on 40 cars today several people commented about the big mounds of sand in the area that was the former UCO office.

One question was most interesting.

Are they building a park with a big sand box?

Anyone know the answer?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why he would post such a question on the CV Q & A is difficult to comprehend, as it is totally inappropriate to that forum (Try to remember Larry: Plumbers, Tile People and places for High School Reunions)


Now let’s get to the question;

It is clear that a new Concrete Slab will be required to accommodate the new structure.

Preparation of the subgrade, the earth beneath the slab is a critical step. This step is important, because a poor subgrade will allow the concrete slab to settle unevenly, causing cracks or fissures.

One must remove all organic matter, grass, sod and roots, as well as large stones, from the site.

Grade the ground so it is level, and then examine it for soft, mucky or spongy spots. Dig these out and fill the holes with material similar to the rest of the site or with granular material like sand, gravel or crushed stone.

Next tamp down the ground to compress the soil, and then cover the site with granular fill. The fill should be at least four to six inches thick and should extend at least 12 inches beyond the perimeter of the slab. This extra extension will prevent rainwater from undercutting the slab during heavy storms.

Dampen the sand or gravel lightly -- there should be no puddles or freestanding water -- then tamp the surface down.

If the slab site is relatively small, you can use a hand tamper, but for this job it is best to use a heavy roller or a power tamper (also called a vibratory plate compactor) for this operation.

Check to make sure that the subgrade is level. Add extra fill to any low spots, than tamp again.
I believe that pretty much covers the ground.

Dave

11 comments:

LARRY KALL said...

I guess I am not very bright. I just assumed that on a Question and Answer forum you could ask a question. I was not chatting, I was just asking.

Mike said...

Larry read Frau Carole's criteria . You will then understamd the errors of your way.
Mike

UCO President said...

Hi Larry,
Yes; you were asking, but permit me to remind you of what is "Appropriate"....!
--------------------------
Following are the original words of the Supreme Arbiter of what is "Appropriate"
---------------------------

Type of appropriate questions are:

Can someone recommend a good plumber, electrician, tile person?

Is there a place in the village that I can advertise something I want to sell?

Does Century Village have pet friendly associations?

Can anyone suggest an establishment in the area that might be a good place to hold a high school reunion?
---------------------------

Now Larry, do you see anything in the holy words about; Piles of Sand?

Dave

Mike said...

I can't help it , I'm lmao. Mike

elaineb said...

ROTFLMAO

I have to spend less time on this blog!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I looked on my little list of Acronyms but I don't see IMAO or ROTFIMAO.

I do see ROTFL (Rolling on the floor laughing). What is the MAO?

IMAO is not listed. Please xplain.

thank you,
fi fi la foof

UCO President said...

Hi
Fi Fi La Foof,

Cute Name; Herewith your Decrypt:

LMAO; =
Laughing My Ass Off.

ROTFLMAO; =
Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off.

The very mention of such would get you banned for life from the CV Q & A

Dave

Mike said...

Dave, you are so right , Frau Carole harrassed me over the use of LMAO. lol

Mike said...

Some lady on the CV Q&A told Larry to go to UCO to find out about the Sand Pile. Does it get any better than that . lol

UCO President said...

Hi Mike,
Yes, of course it gets better; what did Larry find out;

"It is some preliminary work for the new UCO office."

Now, that is Transparency!!

Dave

LARRY KALL said...

When I posted the question on the Q & A I did not expect it to get some much comment. I must admit that I really did know exactly what was being done and why. I was just surprised at the comments by the people walking by the area. At our Executive Board meeting I believe the work being done was mentioned.