Sunday, July 27, 2008

CV Curmudgeon Festival

Recently I saw the town of Celebration, FL, population 9K. Every year they have a Pie Festival and their newspaper gave a double page tribute to 300 volunteers with all their names. What could CV do? A festival of competitions for bitter curmudgeons, ungratefulness, unappreciativeness. Of course we know who would win, our own Blog Anonymous, Today I met a CVer who told me he has volunteered for 27 years in CV and never received a thank you, beat that! Celebration website http://www.celebration.fl.us/

With apologies to curmudgeons I could not find a better word, inventive curmudgeonry is an art.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Volunteers have always been thanked one way or another. They also receive a luncheon(sone good some not) to all volunteers, once a year. Every administration has done this..

elaineb said...

I think he was looking for something more personal or heartfelt, than ‘there’s your lunch’. Do long-time volunteers get a plaque or a lifetime achievement award. (I don’t mean the plaque on a bench after they are gone. Nice as that may be).

Anonymous said...

People volunteer because they want to help. Having a plaque is for self gratification. I am a long time volunteer and I do not expect a plaque. I have attended MANY volunteer luncheons and at EACH one the volunteers are thanked for their efforts.