Tuesday, July 15, 2008

What is docx?

Someone sent me a docx. I spent time downloading docx converter only to find the trial version opened their sample but not my docx, unless I purchased permanent version. Uninstall.
I tried the Microsoft download, failed with unexpected error. I give up, I’m sure it is visually desirable but I have home system, not office.

Very simple explanation desired if possible.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
BLOGMEISTER REPLIES:

The DOCX files, which are now the default file extension in Word 2007, are essentially a bunch of zipped XML documents - [you can even rename the extension from .docx to .zip and extract the contents using Winzip]

I would try this first Elaine, it is a very clever way around this problem.

To convert .docx documents to .doc format, just download the free Microsoft Office compatibility Pack here. This will help you open, print edit, and save .docx files in Office 2000, Office XP, or Office 2003 [much like an advanced Word 2007 File Viewer].

Hope this helps.

Dave Israel

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with your topic. I just wanted to say hello and nice to chat with you today. I am not registered here at this site. Nice to meet you, and maybe ill see you in the pool again. Marc

elaineb said...

Thanx Dave I’ll try later,
Thanx Marc, you are on for next blogger supper, when we are all in town, maybe by then we can round up Dave too. It’s a great group.
You can register to post, see instruction on left side of blog.

Anonymous said...

Here's my tech question: The clubhouse has wi-fi. Is it possible to have wi-fi installed in your car?