Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Dell Support Upgrade

Hi everyone, I have a question about my computer that I thought maybe someone could answer. My computer is a Dell and it is no longer under warranty. It is over 3 years old. A box keeps coming up telling me that I need to update to Dell Support System 2.0. It says that the version I have is being discontinued. I hesitate to upgrade because I tried this about a month ago and after upgrading it, my computer seemed to go bonkers. I couldn't get on line, I couldn't get my emails and it seemed like nothing was working. So I went to Start/Restore (or something like that) - and restored my computer back to a previous date and then it was ok.

Well now -it has started again trying to get me to download this new Dell Support System. If I don't want it, then I should go to Start/Setting/Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs.

My question is - what would the harm be in removing the Dell Support system from my computer? The warranty is no longer in effect so I don't know what good it is doing me and I am afraid to download this new system because my computer might get all messed up again.

Any advice?
thanks, Chris

6 comments:

UCO President said...

Hi Chris,
It is apparent that you are not alone in having Dell Support Center 2.0 problems.
Please see the following reference:

http://www.gripe2ed.com/scoop/story/2007/11/8/05417/8203

I would recommend that you try to Un-install DSC 1.0 prior to attempting to download DSC 2.0.

After removing DSC 1.0 I would advise that you run a Registry Cleaner such as Registry Mechanic, to remove incomplete Registry Keys, then attempt to download DSC 2.0.

Please advise how this works out.
Dave

Topper said...

Hi Dave,
Thanks a million! I will try it this evening and let you know how it works out. Have a wonderful day!
Chris

N-Lightened said...

The cost of stopping Dell's ability to override your computer and put it to your satisfaction is not going to be worth it. In the end, you will then get yourself a new computer. I recommend at this time do not include Vista in your new setup. Make sure you have at least one gig of memory, with no outside power to control your new computer. The cost of a new computer with bells and whistles should cost no more than $500-$600 with a guarantee.

Topper said...

Well, thanks Dave and N-Lightened for your comments. Dave, I did go to the website you referred to and read that article. That is exactly the same thing that happened to me. I just now went in and uninstalled DSC 1.0. That is all I have done so far. I restarted the computer and when I went back on line, for the first time in a week, the Dell pop-up box was not stuck on my screen. So now I have no Dell Support and I just may keep it like that. Everything seems to be running fine and I am too chicken to try to install the DSC 2.0 again. I also haven't done that Reistry Mechanic yet either. I went in the site and did a little reading. I may save the rest of this fun for the weekend when I am fresher! Thank you again for your support!
Chris

alansills said...

Chris,

Sounds like you got some good advice. One thought though made by a poster to your question - they took the opportunity to disparage Vista - this in fact is unfortunate. Vista in MOST ways is better than XP. I do computer service & training (in part) as my daily work and have found Vista to be more secure than XP and overall (now) working better than XP. I would however recommend at least 2gb of RAM and a centrino core2duo chip - not an "intel dual core" chip - that is OUTDATED technology.

Alan Sills
561 676 1205
profsci@gmail.com

Topper said...

Thank you Alan for your input. It is nice to know you do computer service and training. I am saving your number and email address in case I need some assistance.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond.