Tuesday, February 26, 2008

FEEDBACK THROUGH A FIRE HOSE

In another Post; Chris comments

“So many blogs! Oh my gosh, I don't know how you do it. I have trouble keeping up with just this one and it's killing me. Can't get anything done. The house is a mess, the laundry is piling up, the clothes need ironing, the bills aren't getting paid - and what the heck am I doing - looking at this darn blog! I'm addicted, I tell you - I'm addicted to Dave's Blog and Chat! I need help, serious help!!!”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, in the “Cyber Information Age”, BLOG addiction is indeed under consideration by a growing group of Psychiatrists for inclusion in the DSM IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders )

There are BLOGs that are so large and have such a massive readership that when one Posts something, Feedback returns virtually immediately, and in such volume, that the participants are caught up in a closed loop from which there seems to be no escape!

This has been termed “Feedback through a Fire hose”

The following article is apropos to this issue:

http://middlewesterner.typepad.com/middlewesterner/2005/02/the_blogging_ad_1.html

Something to think about!

Dave

4 comments:

Topper said...

Well, thanks very much for your comment Dave. That looks like it will be some good reading for me this evening. As you see it is 5:55 AM and here I am sitting in front of my computer reading Dave's Blog and Chat! Oh, and I also notice that that your comment was at approximately 1:02 AM.
So I see that I am not the only one addicted!!!
Anyway, it's a fun addiction. If I have to have an addiction, I choose Dave's Blog and Chat addiction.
I did notice on another post that someone stated that the only way they had known about Bob's passing was by finding it out on this blog. See how important this blog is becoming to our community.

I am proud to be a member of an open, honest group of people who are not ashamed to express their opinions, no matter what their opinions may be!
I hope I didn't mispell any words. I didn't do Word spellcheck first like Elaine suggested. Oh well, take me as I am.
Your addicted friend,
lol (as Mike would say)
Chris

UCO President said...

Hi Chrisj,

And, welcome you are, exactly as you are, as are all others!

Dave

capt john said...

LET US DARE TO READ, THINK, SPEAK AND WRITE ................ John Adams

Topper said...

Hi Dave, I went to the site you mentioned and read that article. It was great fun to read. As the writer said, I have become "sucked into the endless cycle of Post-and-Read-and Post-and-Read".

Great quote Capt John!!!
Chris