Saturday, June 20, 2009

Oliver Wiswell and the Nutmegger

I think I have figured something out. I recently finished reading "Oliver Wiswell," by the great American historical novelist Kenneth Roberts (his books are great). "Wiswell" was a wonderful read, giving one an insight into the Revolutionary War times from the point of view of the Loyalists. I would recommend it to anyone.

To mention just a couple of things in the book: (1) To the Loyalists, Samuel Adams and John Hancock were rabble-rousers, unlike George Washington and John Adams, who were more noble in their eyes. And (2) The British General Howe (my namesake and maybe a forebear) was far too slow to follow up on his successes with what should have been decisive victories in the War. This was attributable in part to his laziness and interest in women, but also, it is suggested, perhaps to the fact he was a Whig while King George III was a Tory. The point being that if victory for the British came too easily and quickly, it would assure political ascendancy of the Tories for years.

I let several people know of my enthusiasm for the book, including my seasonal neighbor Herbert Geller, who was an editor and journalist in Connecticut in past years. Herbert sent me a booklet he had published in 1976 on southwestern CT's role in the American Revolution. It too is an interesting read and I am about halfway through it.

What caught my eye was this: In one place, Herb referred to CT as the Nutmeg state. It suddenly came to me—maybe this is how the frequent contributor to this Blog came up with the intriguing name "The Nutmegger": she (I am guessing it is a she) is from CT! Could I be right? Or is she just a big user of nutmeg in her cooking?

Lanny

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happen to know The Nutmegger and I don't think I will be letting the cat out of the bag if I say, she indeed is a lady - a lovely lady in fact, from the great state of CT.

The Nutmegger said...

Lanny:

I will give you the history
how I became The Nutmegger.
Let's go back to when
Dave Israel would publish
a weekly crossword puzzle.
Dave is an extremely
brilliant man and I found
it to be a challenge to
conquer his puzzles. When
he would publish his puzzle
I had this bad evil in me
telling myself that I will
not allow David to stump me.
Dave's puzzle are not like
any puzzle you see every
day say in The Palm Beach
Post. No Way. David not
only designed his puzzles
but would also create it.
This was before David
created Dave's Blog so his
puzzles were in the CV
Forum. Every week I was
so determined that I was
going to conquer his puzzle which I did but
found out no one else were. Weekly I would pull
up the CV Forum and scream
and whatnot asking hey you
guys what's wrong that
you're not attacking his
puzzles and some would
reply TOO HARD. Well at
the same time Frank
Cerabino from The Palm
Beach Post every week would read about me
complaining why aren't CVers doing his puzzle
which lead to a one-on-one
interview between Frank
Cerbino and David. Naturally there was
Dave's picture and the
article in The Post which
gave David 15 minutes of
fame and gave me 1 minute
of fame which thrill me to
pieces. In the meantime
this great lovable kid
named John Saponaro
would publish Dave's puzzle
every Sunday under ACCENT
and every Sunday when I
would pull up The Accent I
read week after week that
Lilly Roberts is the
winner. It got to a point
that I hated my name and
also I couldn't understand
why nobody else would tacke
his puzzle. Am I the only
one who loves to conquer a
really hard puzzle and get
so much satisfaction from
acing his puzzle.

I emailed John and told
him I don't want to be
Lilly Roberts anymore and
would he please allow me
to use a pseudo and if his
answer was going to be yes
I asked please from now on
call me "The Nutmegger"
which John gave me my wish.
John S. I will always be
grateful to you for allowing me to use a pseudo
And that how I got the name
"THE NUTMEGGER" Yes it is
a Connecticut Nickname.

I OWE A VAST AMOUNT OF GRATITUDE TO DAVID TO TAKE
ALL TIME TIME INVOLVED IN
CREATING HIS WEEKLY PUZZLE
BUT I ALSO OWE JOHN SAPONARO VAST AMOUNTS OF
GRATITUDE FOR ALLOWING ME
TO USE "THE NUTMEGGER."
I can never repay Dave or
John for all they have given me: David for the
challenge of conquering
his puzzles and John for
allowing me to use a pseudo
name of THE NUTMEGGER BUT
FOR ALSO THE MARVELOUS JOB
HE IS DOING ON THE CV WEB .I don't think I will ever be able to give them the true gratitude that they gave me
but most important the JOY
of conquering David's puzzles. DON'T EVER THINK THAT IT IS EASY.

THANK YOU AND LOVE TO:

DAVID ISRAEL AND
JOHN SAPONARO

Just a CVer said...

I also admire "The Nutmegger" and her friends, David and John. These are really three inspirational people, and I love them.

Lanny Howe said...

Thank you, Nutmegger!! Thank you for giving us Blog readers the whole story! It made my day.

GIACOMO said...

I printed this before and this is truth and fact to my knowledge in this Village their are many diversities of
great talent that is why if we set aside are EGO'S and at times are Pettiness their is not any problems that come before the Residents that can't be resolved by all participating in a mindset foget the past and make
this 21 june 09 the present and go foward for the common good for all
now that's a Puzzle Worth Solving.